Sunday, May 4, 2008

Learning at Low-Cost

Learning how to do things yourself can be a big money saver in the long run. This spring I took my second series of flower arranging classes through my county's public schools' adult education program. A local florist teaches the classes.

At $134 for the first series of 3 classes and $149 for the second series, at first glance they don't seem like a great bargain - not cheap anyway. However, for what you get, it really is a deal. Those prices included the florist demonstrating how to make the arrangements, hands-on help in class when I made my arrangements, tips on how to do things like properly change the water in a vase, and all of the supplies. Each week I had a fun activity on Tuesday nights, and I also got to take home my beautiful creations to enjoy.

While I'm by no means a pro at flower arranging now, I do have some basic skills. A couple of months ago I even made a lovely arrangement that I took to a friend who had just had a baby. A similar arrangement at the grocery store would have cost $20. However, I was able to make the arrangement for my friend with enough flowers leftover to make one for me to keep for a total of $12 (including the vase I gave her which I had gotten from someone who was going to throw it away).

Below you can see pictures of the arrangements I made in my latest classes (wedding flower arranging). I'm not going to do the flowers for my own wedding, but this was good information to learn - and it was fun!

Check out what classes your local school district or parks and rec department offer. You might learn a cool trade and have fun for a reasonable price.




Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Kate said...

Excellent idea. I love those arrangements that you made!

Wedding/saving story: we had a very limited budget for flowers. Two bouquets (only one attendant) and about 5 each of corsages and boutonnieres. Hubby loves calla lilies, but they're expensive so my bouquet was a mix of pretty, but cheaper flowers and the boys had mini calla lilies with a tiny black satin ribbon wrapped around the stems. It was the florist's idea and I thought it was genius--especially since it was HIS favorite flower anyway.