Saturday, June 7, 2008

I Made It Through the Storm

Wednesday afternoon, evening, and night some fierce storms passed through the DC area. When I got home from work, I found that the electricity had gone out during the afternoon. It also disrupted our Internet service. I called Verizon to try to have it restored, but the representative said our router must have gone out. So, he shipped us a new one, which arrived yesterday. I hooked it up, but the Internet still wasn't working. Finally, this morning another Verizon rep was able to reboot our system, and we are back online!

Before the storms blew through, I had plans on Wednesday after work to go to the grocery store to finally do some regular shopping. I haven't been other to pick up an item or two in quite some time. I've been trying to use some of the many odds and ends that I have in my pantry and freezer. It's been a good way to trim some spending lately, but I thought I had finally hit the end of anything that would constitute a meal.

There wasn't more than 15 or 20 minutes between storms on Wednesday. So just about the time I'd think it was safe to go out and get ready to go, the pouring rain, thunder, and lightning returned. This happened several times before my sister got home about 8:00. When she blew in the door, she said, "Don't go out there!" There were tornado warnings, and the sky looked terrible. Great - was I going to have to eat a can of kidney beans for dinner?

Actually, it turned out I did have more food in the freezer! I had some really great spaghetti sauce I had made several months ago that I thought belonged to my sister. So, we pooled our food resources and had a nice spaghetti dinner with garlic toast and broccoli and cheese.

Once again, hurrah for the freezer! I love having easy food on hand!

As a side note, after I get married and will gain full control of the freezer and pantry for the household, I shouldn't have the problem of not knowing which stashed food belongs to whom. Managing the kitchen will become a lot easier!

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: