Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My Frugal $ense Pick for February

February is nearly over, but I thought I'd share my favorite tip on Bankrate.com's Frugal $ense contest because it's a really good one that I already use. Bonnie Pineiro of Weymouth suggests making your own school snacks for kids by buying in bulk and packaging your own individual-sized snacks. When I was a kid, my parents did the same thing for our school lunches.

I don't have any children, but I do this for my own lunch that I take to work. In fact, this week I've had applesauce as part of my lunch. I bought a 24-ounce jar of it on sale for 79 cents. I've poured it into half-cup size reusable containers and put one in my lunch bag each day. Like in Bonnie's examples, it was far cheaper than buying the pre-packaged individual-sized containers of applesauce. And it takes very little time and effort to do the packaging myself.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: